The Cultural Competence Leadership Institute (CCLI) provides signature leadership and career development experiences to high-achieving Carolina undergraduates. Selected scholars participate in innovative and interactive seminars facilitated by UNC faculty and staff, and corporate, public, and non-profit leaders. In CCLI, students develop leadership skills and professional competencies in preparation for continuing on to graduate school or entering the global workforce.
CCLI is an intensive year-long leadership program for academically successful sophomores and juniors. A combination of foundational, supplemental, and recommended readings, informative lectures, module-based exercises, small-team activities, community engagement, professional immersion, cultural competence leadership institute and special projects form this unique and substantive pre-professional learning experience. All selected scholars will receive a professional portfolio of the curricula materials to support their success in the program. Students will be selected based on academic achievement, leadership potential, motivation toward success, and the overall strength of their applicant file.
Eligibility to become a CCLI scholar
- CCLI is open to all UNC sophomores and juniors with a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Students should have demonstrated commitment towards academic excellence and have previous leadership experience with student organizations or within their communities.
- Students must be available to attend all spring sessions.
What Does it mean to be a ccli scholar?
- New scholars will participate in bi-weekly sessions during the Spring of 2015.
- Scholars will participate in each of the sessions and complete required reading prior to attending the sessions.
- Each session will have a guest speaker and time for processing the readings within groups.
- Scholars will maintain a journal of their sessions and record their experience.
- Scholars are expected to participate in and lead a campuswide service learning experiences.
- Scholars are encouraged to plan towards a summer internship/externship experience following the institute. They will have opportunities through the course of the year to create a strong application and use the skills, knowledge and behaviors that they learn at CCLI towards their application and success.
- Scholars will be part of a multicultural cohort, they are expected to learn from each other, support each other and build a community learning experience during this process.
We are no longer accepting applications for the Cultural Competence Leadership Institute.